Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Best Friend for Life

So I was out and about when I received a text from my 7 year old granddaughter.  It read B.F.F.L. and then was immediately followed with that was sopost to go to emma.  I sent her back a smiley face not really knowing what all the letters meant.  I knew I was missing out on something but not sure what it was.

A few days later I asked my daughter about it and she told me that it meant "best friend for life".  Oh really!  So I was not to be her best friend for life.  It made me really laugh then as to how quickly she told me it was "sopost" to go to Emma.  I didn't let it bother me too much.  After all, I am 61 years old and she is 7.  But being the grandma that I am , I decided to bring it up to her last week.

I put on my sad face and said, "How come I am not your B.F.F.L.?"

She replied, "Because you're my grandma and that is much better."

What she said was perfect!!  To be thought of as much better brought a smile to my face if not a tear to my eyes. 

We have the longest text message in history from God.  It is our Bible.  We read about the sacrifice of being a friend.  Jesus says, "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."  John 15:13  Jesus is the friend above all friends who was willing to lay down His life that we might live with Him forever.  His life was offered as a sacrifice for our sins and yet He calls us friends.  How humbling this statement is for us.

Then He said, "You are my friends if you do what I command you."  Jesus calls us to show our friendship to Him by doing what He commands by being obedient to The Word of God.  This is not easy for us.  We are sinners even as Followers of Christ.  Our hearts are wicked and desire what is contrary to God.  We want to do things our way so much of the time.  But Jesus reminds us that our obedience to Him is proof of our friendship.  He has given proof of His friendship in the sacrifice of His own self.

As a Follower of Christ we have friendship with God that would look like this in text:  B.F.F.E.  He has saved us to be best friends for eternity.  Eternity is hard to get our minds around but the time is coming when we will live with God forever.  "And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man.  He will dwell with them and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.  He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore for the former things have passed away."  Revelation 21:3-4  That is what we have to look forward to!

Being a grandma may be much better than a B.F.F.L. but being a B.F.F.E. tops them both!!

1 comment:

Carruth Vallecillo said...

Previously, in the event that you needed an advance, you would need to visit an advance office and give documentation so the budgetary organization could decide if they should credit cash to you. Today, things have changed. You can apply for a credit on the Internet from the solace of your home. personal check cashing san diego