Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Tribute to my Pop

On Friday my dad is going to be having double partial knee replacement. He is 83 years of age and in good health, he does have a hard time walking. I am praying for a quick recovery and for the surgery to go well. He has been a part of my life for 46 years and I love him with all my heart. I remember something I had written a long time ago about him and want to post it here.

The year was 1963 and I was 11 years old which meant that I knew everything. My world was devastated that year when my mother remarried. I was a very determined child and had decided that I would not call this man, dad. The use of his first name was allowed but it was not a good example to my younger brothers. I persisted however.

This man was nothing but good to me. He showed me every kindness but it took me two years to realize just how much this man loved me. I remember the day very well. We were on the road during August of 1965 going to Arizona when I first called this man, Dad. He was very proud that day. The example to my borthers had changed and they picked up on it right away. He was truly our Dad.

God is our Father. He loves us and shows us every kindness. He has given us the ultimate gift of His Son. But are we still be disrespectful to Him? Do we honor Him as we should? Do we recognize that He is truly our Father? When was the last time that your children heard you cry "Abba Father"?

No comments: