Thursday, January 12, 2012

IF IT IS POSSIBLE

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Last night as I taught a class at church on relationship with difficult people, I was struck by the relationship of Jesus and Judas. Jesus who is our perfect example. The example that we are to follow as Followers of Christ. The One we are to imitate. In John 13, Jesus takes the time to wash every disciple's feet. We are told in this passage that He knew that Judas was going to betray Him. He knew that His time had come. He knew that it would be that evening.

As we were going through these verses, the reality of this hit me very hard. Jesus washed the dirty feet of His betrayer, a thief and a liar. Judas was never a true follower of Christ at all. Jesus knew that and yet He treated him just like He did the rest of the disciples who followed Him. I guess I was picturing myself on the floor washing the dirty feet of someone who has told lies about me, who has tried to turn others against me and who has broken close relationships. At that moment, I could not see myself on the floor but I knew I should be there. How humiliating! Would God really want me to humble myself to that point?

Of course, He would. Jesus did it. I am to learn from Him. Fear begins to creep up in me as I think, "what if the response to me is not good?". Well, that's where Romans 12:18 comes in. Because as you read at the beginning of this post, "If it is possible..." It is not always possible to have peace because the other person may not respond in a manner that promotes peace. However I am responsible for me not the other person's response. So I have a job to do. I need to go as far as I can for peace. I need to look like Jesus, my Savior.

I may get hurt. I may win a friend. I may look stupid. I may look like Jesus. I may be fearful. I may have courage in the Lord. All of this is speculation that will get me nowhere. Jesus calls me to serve. He calls me to be like Him. He calls me to obedience. "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." John 13:15 And He did much more for me than wash my feet...He died for me taking my punishment for my sin. He took my place. So...what's my problem?


No comments: