Wednesday, January 18, 2012

In the Presence of Grace

The Student Ministries Pastor and my friend, Patrick McGoldrick, has been diagnosed with ALS. This has hit us all hard in the church and especially here on staff with him. He is young. He has a wife and two children. The diagnosis is not a good one but only God knows the outcome.

After we were told in a staff meeting, I began to pray for him and his family. I also began to wonder how I would act around him. What would I say? What should I do? I figured it would all be very uncomfortable. Nothing could be farther from reality.

I can only describe being with Patrick as being in the presence of grace, God's grace. There is no uneasiness in our conversation. It is all natural, normal and productive. It is not hard to speak with him about the future. In fact, I enjoy our conversations more now. The reason? I am in the presence of God's grace.

There are many times as a biblical counselor I have used Hebrews 4:16 as an encouragement..."Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."...But now I consider that I am in the thick of that verse. God's throne is being approached multiple times a day for Patrick and God's grace is being lavished on him.

I am privileged to serve along side this man. As I stand next to him, I too am the beneficiary of God's marvelous grace. What a privilege! Thank you God.

No comments: