Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Politics and a 6 year old

On Saturday I was at my daughter's house, sewing bags for Excess Baggage shows coming up. As the day was winding down, we began to clean up the sewing area and the kids began to clean up the kitchen and family room. My six year old grandson was sweeping the foyer when he said, "We don't want to vote for the man, Bama, because he helped someone blow up three buildings, I think. Dad says to vote for McCain but he is going to raise taxes and we are going to have to pay." He then leaned on his broom looking so forlorn with no answers in his little mind.

After he left the room, I laughed and laughed. Since when does a six year old talk politics? His concern over the raising of taxes was said as if he were going to be paying the money from his pocket. Perhaps he was thinking of the lack of money his parents would have to put in his envelope for his chores. Whatever it was, he was genuinely concerned. It gave me a good chuckle.

This same six year old is concerned about another thing too. Each time he prays, he remembers to pray for his uncle to come to know the Lord. He prays with a heartfelt desire for this to happen. He never mentions his uncle other than to the only one who can save, Jesus Christ. When I think of this, I do not laugh but actually shed a few tears to realize that my grandson is so concerned about my son.

A big thank you to my grandson for showing me the importance of concern. This is not a time to be indifferent. It is a time to weigh every issue, do a little homework and make a decision to vote your conscience. It is also a time to not be indifferent about the lost of this world but to bring them before the throne of grace. We should never tire of being on our knees for the unsaved especially those in our families.

We can apply the following verse to both this country and our families. "Then Jesus toldhis disciples a parable to how them that they should always pray and not give up." Luke 18:1

No comments: