Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My First Pedicure

A few weeks ago, I was going to be speaking at a one day conference.  You know how it is when you are going to be in front of people, you want to look your best.  I found these great sandals to wear on that day.  Well I knew they would look a whole lot better if I had painted toenails.  So I decided to treat myself to my first pedicure.  I have always taken care of my toes myself.  Part of the reason is that someone else touching my feet makes me cringe a bit.  The other part is that I just haven't done it.  I was determined to get over the cringe and take the plunge.

The nail salon was very nice.  The technician put me at ease right away.  She said, "If it has been a long time since your last pedicure, you may want to have the sugar scrub for your feet." 

Of course my answer was, "I have never had a pedicure." 

She looked at me and said, "Like I said if it has been a long time since your last pedicure, you may want to have the sugar scrub for your feet."

Obviously she wasn't getting it so I said, "You don't understand.  I have never had a pedicure."

Her eyes widened and she was speechless.  She was probably trying to calculate how old I was.  After all, how could a woman get through 60 years and never have a professional pedicure!  I was living proof that it can be done. 

She did my nails and did a beautiful job.  The toes make the shoes! 

But after all the work on my nails, it was not my toes that were important at the conference.  It was the Word of God.  No one really came up to me and said, "Wow!  Your toes look great!"  Actually I am glad that they didn't.  God's Word takes priority over these little pleasures of life.  It is far more pleasurable.

At the conference, I spoke on our race of life from Hebrews 12:1-4.  We have a race to run that God has laid out for us.  We are to run it well.  We cannot do that with our feet entangled in sin or if we are carrying an idol in our heart.  We run it well when we look at Jesus and how He ran the race before us.  It doesn't matter if our toenails are polished or not.  We are to run for the glory of God!  What's keeping you from running today?  I know there are many things I still need to disentangle in my own life but God is patient and compassionate.  In that I greatly rejoice!!

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.  consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.  In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood."  Hebrews 12:1-4

(By the way, I did get the sugar scrub and it was wonderful!!)

No comments: